Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Bare Naked

“O how beautiful is a humble soul! From her heart, as from a censer, rises a varied and most pleasing fragrance which breaks through the skies and reaches God himself, filling His Most Sacred Heart with joy. God refuses nothing to such a soul; she is all powerful and influences the destiny of the whole world...Such a soul is most deeply united with God. ...Now I understand why there are so few saints; it is because so few souls are deeply humble.” - St. Maria Faustina Kowalska (Divine Mercy in My Soul)


I’ve failed a lot in life, and with a lot of things. And I don’t like to admit it, but it’s true. Honestly, for me, the biggest obstacle to humility is admitting, to myself and to others, that I make, and have made, some terrible mistakes. And sometimes, merely hiding these failures causes problems with my relationships with other people and with God.


I’ve been blessed, this summer, with an incredible job. Working for a ministry called Hard As Nails, I’ve learned to take to heart the core values of authenticity, obedience, and courage. What’s the hardest of these three for me? Well, considering my pride and reluctance sharing my dirty little secrets...being authentic is pretty tough. Especially when there’s things you’ve managed to keep hidden for a really long time.


Now, this blog isn’t a confession, so I’m obviously going to spare you the details right now, but one thing I can say for certain is that the first step to being humble is admitting your failings to those who you’ve hurt, those who have trusted you, and those who can benefit from knowing that they’re not alone. Don’t be afraid to take that step to start healing the relationships that you might not even realize are hurting yet, and to help other people to realize that none of us are perfect.


There is something beautiful about sharing your heart and being authentic with yourself and other people. You become vulnerable when you allow yourself to be seen the way God sees you. It’s painful, and it hurts, but it’s like gold that’s been purified and turned into something that not only beautiful, but useful as well. We can’t be gold nuggets forever!


P.S. More to come...I pinky swear on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment